Weekend getaways from Delhi are one of the best ways to quickly rejuvenate and sneak a couple of days to unwind and refresh. The only trouble is, with just two to three days in hand, choosing a destination can be a bit of a headache. With all the travel time involved, the last thing one wants is to not have enough time to enjoy the actual destination.
If you are in Delhi however, there are two amazing destinations that you can get to in less than 6 hours.
Both Mussoorie and Agra can be reached from Delhi in a very quick time and both of them have lots to offer for a fantastic holiday. To help get the best out of your Weekend getaways from Delhi, here’s a travel guide for better planning:
MUSSOORIE – Weekend Getaways From Delhi
How to go: Mussoorie is perched at 7500 ft. above sea level and there are a couple of ways to reach. You can drive from Delhi but that will take you way more than six hours. Your best bet is to take the train (Shatabadi works very well) and get to Dehradun. From there you can traverse the 34km drive by taxi. Words of caution: the drive is uphill and winding so be prepared for that. Those unfamiliar with the terrain can find the drive nauseating.
Where to stay: Hotels in Mussoorie are many and suit all sorts of budgets. For a truly luxurious stay, Jaypee Residency Manor is top notch stay during Weekend getaways from Delhi. There are others that offer good facilities and comfortable stay. That being said, if you are going during holidays, long weekends or peak times, make sure you book 5 star hotel accommodation before you land up as places fill up very quickly.
What to do: There is a lot of lists to do in Mussoorie. If you have two days only, we have picked the top four activities/spots to visit that you can cover.
- Lal Tibba: For nature wanderers, photography enthusiasts and mountain gazers, Lal Tibba is perfect. Located upwards of main Mussoorie in the cantonment area of Landour, the most appropriate way to explore is to drive up to Char Dukaan and the take the short hike to Lal Tibba. Essentially a gazing spot that offers majestic views of the Himalayas, one can walk around the mountain and take a detour to sister’s bazaar and spend some time at St. Paul’s cathedral. Mussoorie is truly divine place in India that & considered as best Weekend Getaways From Delhi.
- Cloud’s End: Literally the geographical end of Mussoorie, Cloud’s end is lovely for those who are inclined towards adventure. Wrapped in Deodar and Oak forest cover, it’s a treat for sore eyes and a haven for those who love nature walks and a bit of wildlife.
- Mall Road: Mall road has so much to offer, from local food, shopping, old video game parlors, the skating rink, easy access to Gunhill point and all things hill station. A walk across Mall road offers lovely views of the Doon valley and old colonial structures add to the charm.
- Kempty Falls: The most popular when it comes to mainstream tourist attractions, Kempty falls are about 14 km out of main Mussoorie. Most hotels in Mussoorie, recommend a visit to the gigantic falls, as it’s a great picnic destination. With several shops and diverse flora and fauna, these falls are a must visit.
AGRA – Weekend Getaways From Delhi
How to go: About 200 kms southeast of Delhi, getting to Agra is easy, both by train or road. An early morning train such as a Shatabdi works very well and so does a car that can get you there is about 3 hours for Weekend getaways from Delhi to explore Taj Mahal & city of love agra.
Also Read: A List Of Must See Things to Do When in Agra
Where to stay:5 star hotels in Agra are not that many, as it tends to be more of a budget city. That being said, Jaypee Palace Hotel & Convention Centre is perfect for a luxury stay that will add that extra element of rejuvenation after the drive. Pre-booking luxury hotels in agra, however, is highly recommended.
What to do: If you have only two days, you need to pack enough to get a highly immersive experience of the city. A 360 plan would include:
- Taj Mahal: Even if you have been there before, one cannot miss visiting the Taj Mahal when in Agra. There is nothing about the Taj Mahal that we can tell you that hasn’t been written before. The recommendation would be to start your trip with the most iconic monument of love, get your fill and then move on to other places. Do you know that UP Tourism organizes night viewing tours of Taj Mahal as well? One can get the details related to dates & timing from the office of the Superintending Archaeologist, Archaeological Survey of India and purchase the ticket from their office located at Agra Circle, 22 The Mall, Agra. Rate of Night Viewing Ticket are: Indian (Adult) – Rs 510, Foreigner (Adult) – Rs 750 and Children (3Yrs to 15 Years age) – Rs. 500.
- Agra Fort: The red sandstone structure is a world UNESCO site and a guided tour is a must. One of the finest forts of the Mughal era, this one is the second most beautiful building in Agra. The history it encompasses, the various sub mahal’s inside, the charm and the beauty, all of it is something that will touch the soul and feed the senses immensely. Apart from reveling in the architecture, UP Tourism has started with an amazing Light & Sound Show at the Agra Fort in the slots of 30 to 8.30 pm and 8.30 to 9.30 pm. Charges for the same would be INR 40 for Indians and INR 150 for Foreigner Nationals.
- Sadar Bazaar: For those who like to do a bit of shopping, Sadar Bazaar is the place to go. Handicrafts, shoes, leather, marble, you name it, you got it. Open between 11:00 am and 11:00 pm, this market is a must visit even if one is short on time.
Agra Bear Rescue Facility: The Agra Bear Rescue Facility is the world’s largest bear rescue facility, home to over 200 Sloth Bears rescued from horrific lives as dancing bears, or from poaching and situations of man-animal conflict. You can enjoy a personal guided experience at the Agra Bear Rescue Facility after booking any of the two-hour slots starting from 9 am till 6 pm. The ticket for the same can be purchased at the entry gates of the Sur Sarovar Bird Sanctuary.
|5 Star Hotel Agra||Restaurant in Agra||Wedding Venue|